• Michelle Obama has chosen artist Amy Sherald–who has two pieces currently in the Studio Museum's "Fictions" show, including the gem above–to paint her official portrait. Sherald usually paints strangers she approaches on the street, so this should be a huge departure for her. (The Make Believer, courtesy of the artist and Monique Meloche Gallery)
• Not even a year after Bo's Bagels opened its first storefront in Harlem, its handmade bagels have been voted as one of New York magazine's "Absolute Best." Looks like we're all going to have to try the za'atar, the blueberry and the Black Russian. (Absolute Bagels near Columbia also made the cut. Life is good.)
• Looking for a personal, 90-minute walking tour of Harlem? Check out the guide Red Rooster chef Marcus Samuelsson narrated for the app Detour.
• It's fancy Harlem townhouse vs. fancy Harlem townhouse in this Curbed NY matchup. When it came time to click on the one I liked better, I picked the less popular one. Does that mean I can get a discount?
• Eighteen panels of carved mahogany depicting the moving history of Liberia have been installed in Harlem Hospital's Mural Pavilion.
• This Halloween extravaganza tomorrow night at St. John the Divine sounds super fun. There are also four "Crypt Crawls" scheduled in the cathedral on Saturday.
#CentralHarlem #art #eat #museum #realestate #holiday #uptownlinks