There's no better way to squeeze the last bit of summer out of the weekend than by spending it outdoors. Here are five fun ways to do so–and each is one-hundred percent The Curious Uptowner-approved:
1. Say farewell to Riverside Park's goats. Earlier this summer Riverside Park invited a herd of friendly goats to tackle the weeds near 120th Street and Riverside Drive. Although not all of them are still around–they were a little too good at their jobs–the remaining handful are munching away in the park until Tuesday, September 10th.
2. Explore the Billings Arcade. Yes, one of uptown's secret architectural gems is slightly off the beaten path–it's in a hidden part of Fort Tryon Park–but this guide makes finding it easy.
3. Check out uptown's newest public plaza. Earlier this summer an entire stretch of Hamilton Place between W 143rd and W 144th Streets was transformed into the Johnny Hartman Plaza, complete with chic metal furniture and flower-filled planters. Amazingly, you can also admire it with drink in hand at new spot L'Argot, which has an outdoor patio that looks directly onto the plaza.
4. Swim in one of Harlem's two "cool pools." Harlem now has two "cool pools"–both oases have been freshened up with fun furniture and bright paint–that are free and open to the public through Sunday, September 8.
5. Take a forest bath. Searching for a perfect spot to totally submerge yourself in nature? Look no further than the Ravine in Central Park's North Woods, a mix of lush forest, soothing waterfall and romantic stone arch.
Photo: Morgan Mackey
For daily updates, follow The Curious Uptowner on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
#MorningsideHeights #WashingtonHeights #HamiltonHeights #Harlem #parks #outdoors