Plans for its demolition were widely covered in the news in recent years, and now the reality is here for all to see:
The neo-Gothic building that housed the Metropolitan Community United Methodist Church at 45 E 126th Street and Madison Avenue is mostly rubble.
The back of the Gothic-style apse was all that remained this past weekend.
The structure was built in 1871 for the St. James Methodist Episcopal Church of Harlem; in 1942 it changed hands and became a black church.
According to reports, the inside of the historic building had been crumbling for a while, and the church, which had only 80 congregants two years ago, decided to make a deal with a developer.
Although there's still no word on what will replace the majestic corner sanctuary (condos have been mentioned), permits have been filed for a seven-story house of worship at 1981 Madison Avenue, the lot right next door.