• From selling handmade soaps from a table on 125th Street to selling his company to Anglo-Dutch conglomerate Unilever and pocketing $850 million, this is the story of Richelieu Dennis, the 49-year-old cofounder of Sundial Brands. [Forbes]
• Congratulations to Studio Museum director Thelma Golden, who received a 2018 J. Paul Getty Medal for being "a cultural anchor in the Harlem community, focusing on the rich and diverse histories of artists of African descent," per the ad the Getty posted in the New York Times this weekend. [L.A. Times]
• The city finally approved a proposal to designate a new historic district in Central Harlem, from West 130th to West 132nd Streets between Lenox Avenue and Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard. So now it's official. [Patch]
• Swanky Harlem bar Sugar Monk has been in the pipeline for some time, and now it appears it will open in November. [Real Estate Weekly]
• Check out these nine fall fashion pieces inspired by Harlem Run founder Alison Désir in Vogue's October issue. [Vogue]
• There are so many places to try on this list of the 15 "absolute best" restaurants in Morningside Heights. [Grub Street]
• This review of "Antigone in Ferguson" at Harlem Stage will make you want to run to go see it. [NY Times]
• Dominicans who have lived in the upper part of Manhattan recently designated "Little Dominican Republic" say they've always called it that way. [amNewYork]
• When a food writer is looking for good Cuban food, they will inevitably find it in East Harlem. [Thrillist, Eater NY].
• A new 10-story residential building is coming to 2150 Second Avenue in East Harlem. [YIMBY]
For daily updates, follow The Curious Uptowner on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
#CentralHarlem #SouthHarlem #MorningsideHeights #WashingtonHeights #EastHarlem #beauty #museum #art #realestate #eat #theater #drinks #uptownlinks